Saturday 23 June 2012

Final Garments

I finally started cutting my final garments! But of course, I came across some major problems.

When I started cutting the stringy fabric, the big chunks would come apart on every curve I cut.

This cause a massive delay in the production of my garment as I had to literally sew centimeter by centimeter and make sure all the fabric was backed with scrim.

It took me about 4 hours just to sew the dress part of my garment and about 2 hours to sew the hood.
Once I had sewn the hood and left it for a while I realised I had sewn it wrong and should have done the lining and the good inside out. But unfortunately, I couldn't undo the stitching or recut the fabric as I didn't have enough left.

The stringy texture also caused a problem when it came to sewing the hood on as the sleeve pieces were falling apart too and i had to make do with what i had.

It was really frustrating and difficult to work with this fabric, especially when you don't really know what you are doing. But i wanted the look the material would give the garment to refused to give up.
After all the edges had been overlocked, the details including the messed up hood look way better anyway and i was happy to leave the garment as it was.








After completing the above garment, i decided to do another one in Muslin and Scrim so that I could display the top layer on one and have the bottom two layers on display separately. I chose not to work with the Stringy fabric as i didn't have enough material or time left over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment